Indefinite Leave to Remain

Application for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK

Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) is one type of permanent settlement, which grants someone the right to stay in the United Kingdom for an infinite period of time.

You might apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain if you had been living in the United Kingdom using a Settlement Visa, also sometimes called an ILR Visa. Different types of Settlement Visa include Spouse Visas and Work Visas, Business Visas and Dependant Visas. To make an ILR application, you generally need to had been living in the United Kingdom for 5 decades, but in certain cases, it’s 3.

ILR permits you to work and live in the United Kingdom free of all immigration constraints. It could also be used as a route to naturalisation, meaning you could make a British citizenship application if you meet the ILR requirements. These include continuous residency in the United Kingdom and no offences.

Request Free Advice

How Do We Assist With Your ILR Application? 

We might closely assist you throughout your ILR application to ensure that you meet these demands. Our solutions include a full document check along with the completion of your application form to a high quality. Your solicitor will even write a Letter of Representation, that’ll be sent to the Home Office with your application. This letter details your case and discusses its own worth. It makes reference to some UK immigration laws or other immigration cases that support your application. We help you prepare for your ‘Life in the United Kingdom test’ and liaise with the Home Office where appropriate. 

Your solicitor will assist to prepare everything to need for your Spouse Visa application procedure and completely manage and complete your application for you. Speak with Amicus now using the form above. Or call +44 161 434 4448 for advice from experienced immigration solicitor.

FAQ's on Indefinite Leave to Remain

You will get Indefinite Leave to Remain in the United Kingdom through various routes. Most commonly, these really are when you’re in the United Kingdom with permission as one of the following:

  • A partner
  • A family member
  • A particular type of worker (e.g Tier 2)
  • On continuous and long-term legal residence
  • A person with ties.

The dependent child of a British Citizen or an individual who is settled in the United Kingdom can be given immediate permission to stay and refugees who’re resettled in the United Kingdom during the Gateway Protection Programme will automatically be granted permission to stay. 

To make an ILR application you need to already be in the United Kingdom. And in a lot of cases will need to demonstrate a knowledge of life and language. Although particular applicants are exempt from this requirement including:

  • kids (under 18)
  • parents
  • grandparents
  • along with other dependent relatives of people present. And settled in the United Kingdom
  • people residing in the United Kingdom as a refugee

You’ll have to demonstrate your knowledge of the English language. And UK life by passing the Life in the United Kingdom test. And meeting the English Language requirements. You’ll not need to pass the English Language requirements if you hold a qualification in English, possess a diploma that was taught or researched in English or you’re a national of an English-speaking nation. 

As part of your ILR application, you’ll have to enrol your fingerprints and facial image. And you’ll need to get a biometric residence permit. This will confirm your status and entitlements.

Finally, you’ll also have to pay the Indefinite Leave to Remain fee which is £2,389 per applicant at the time of this writing.

There are times you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in five years. If you have resided continuously in the UK.

Some applicants, have to wait as long as 10 years before they can apply for an ILR Visa. This will depend on the visa you have been using to stay in the UK. As well as a number of other factors.

Visit us

761 Wilmslow Road
Didsbury, Manchester
M20 6RN

Call us

434 4448

Contact us

Scroll to Top