UK Spouse Visa

Are you attempting to get permission for the spouse to live with you in the United Kingdom? Have you received a refusal for your Spouse visa application? Are you worried your Spouse visa questions will be denied? Two main things to get approved is to prove your UK sponsor earns £18,600 per year & you have a genuine relationship.

Qualifying for the Spouse visa – 

The applicant must:
  • Pay application fees
  • Pay the healthcare charge 
  • Prove the civil partnership\/marriage is one that is recognised in the UK
  • Have lived together for at least 2 years
  • OR are engaged or a proposed civil partner marrying or entering the partnership within 6 months of arriving in the UK
  • Prove English proficiency
  • Prove ability to financially support themselves and their dependents

The spouse must:

  • Not be in the UK with a temporary visa
  • Be a British citizen OR have ILR OR have refugee status/humanitarian protection in the UK
  • Meet financial requirements 


Request Free Advice

FAQ's on Spouse Visa

To sponsor a partner or spouse of yours to arrive to stay in the UK the minimum income needed is £ 18, 600 and it was set by Home Office of the UK in July 2012.

Nonetheless, this had caused a stir all over the country and it resulted in the United Kingdom high court giving a ruling that this requirement of minimum income was ’unjustified and disproportionate’ in case either the sponsor has British citizenship or is a refugee. The judgment was pronounced in 2013 and from then on the decisions relative to sponsors who do not meet these criteria will be on hold till further notice is given.

​An appeal was filed by the Home Office in the UK against this judgment in the month of March 2014, and the result of this is not yet determined but is pending. As mentioned earlier the amount of money is higher in case the dependent children are sponsored by the sponsor and the amount will increase for every dependent child. Though, it may not relate to the children that have British citizenship.

In a few cases you can get an exemption from the Requirements of finance for a United Kingdom partner or spouse visa, for instance, in case you take a caretaker or have a disability.

​As only a few cases exist where you can apply for exemptions, it is better to consult an experienced immigration lawyer to know more is our advice while you may get exemption from meeting up the present threshold on income you need to produce proof that you may be able to satisfactorily maintain your partner/ spouse and/or dependants.

To get acceptance for a partner or spouse visa, you need to give a proof that you can understand and speak English and this is an element of the process of application.

You need to pass the English speaking test that is conducted by an approved test provider if you belong to a country other than the Economic Region of Europe (or Switzerland) which is not an English speaking country predominantly. If one among the approved providers provides your certificate then it has to satisfy this requirement.

​If you have taken a degree in English you don’t have to take the test on English language, as the degree you possess is sufficient proof of the ability of your knowing the English language. If there is no surety on how to get a provider that has been approved for test taking then you can consult one who is specialised in the immigration process and he or she will be the best person to guide you rightly.

To get a TB test done before applying for immigration to the United Kingdom for a period of more than 6 months is necessary for most countries.

​To test for TB is needed not only for partner/spouse visa but also for other categories of UK visa. This test for TB for the UK visa has to be done by a clinic approved by the Home Office. On the website of the United Kingdom government, you can find a list of the approved clinics all over the globe so that you can locate one that is in your vicinity. You need to know that in a few countries the test for TB will have to be performed in some neighbouring country because of the lack of the approved testing centres.

​No to include the income of the partner or spouse is not allowed in the requirement of finance except when they are living in the United Kingdom ( with having a permit to have a job) in this case the Requirement of finance will be derived from the income of the household. Anyway, if you find it difficult to meet up the minimum requirement of the income you can contact an expert team member from our side and then discuss how the changes in the law made recently can assist your application.  

Visit us

761 Wilmslow Road
Didsbury, Manchester
M20 6RN

Call us

434 4448

Contact us